For those with slightly sophisticated finances, investments can also be managed with BankTree Personal Finance.
1) Linked cash account / capital account: When you create a new investment account in BankTree Personal Finance, you will also notice a linked cash account for the newly created investment has been created. This is used to track your investment gain/loss and will hold the cash value for your investments. It functions just like a normal cash account i.e. as you buy shares the value of this account will decrease, and increase when you sell shares. You can also use it to schedule recurring investment transactions (although you will not be able to amend investment transactions). Deleting this account will also delete the investment account.
To hide the linked cash account - right click on the accounts bar, or the tab next to the account bar and select show linked accounts to un-select it.
2) If you have existing shares, which were purchased prior to using BankTree Personal Finance, you can add the share total to the cash account as an income adjustment.
3) To setup your investment you first need to enter you stocks / securities. Go to the securities section from the tools menu. You will need to enter a symbol, this must match the symbol that is used on the website you select as the data source. To find out what the symbol is click on the Search button to open the search page. Please note the symbol has nothing to do with the stock listing on the exchange. If you are unable to find a matching symbol, select manual update, as the data source allowing you to enter a price. If you need to convert the price from pence into pounds, make sure you set the conversion factor to 0.01. Click on the Check button to check your entered symbol is the right one and will bring back the correct value.
6) Enter details of the investment in the investment transaction register allowing you to store actual investment activity. The investment transaction register is shown when you select the investment.
7) Performance and value of the investments are shown on the investment summary. To see details of the transactions such as the stock history and the transaction history click on the chart icon next to each security.
8) Investment reports, by selecting the investment filter you can filter both the investment and the investment actions allowing you to pick certain investment transactions only. This would be useful if you need record of all dividend payments for example.