Support request

As of 24th December 2013 version 2.0 is no longer available for purchase. This is a general discussion and self help section for version 2.0, for people to post stuff they have found useful.
catsnbytes
Support request

Post by catsnbytes » Fri May 04, 2007 10:09 am

Dated 04-05-07

I was loading my copy with data, (transferring from an old DOS based system by hand), yesterday. While doing so, I noticed two minor problems and suffered a major one.

Problem 1. - When posting a sheduled operation using a transfer, the "to" and "category" input fields are suprimposed - a minor bug I assume.

Problem 2. - On one account that had most transactions posted (but only 18) the balace calculations on the transactions page were fine, but the balance shown on the home page bore no relation to any figures on the transaction page - ??

Problem 3. - I was just changing the category on one of my schedule postings ( the last operation I had intended, of course) when I was suddenly looking at my desktop, not banktree!!
And that was it - the program will no longer run!!! All it does is flash up the initial logo and then nothing. Further investigation showed that the banktree.ldb file appears briefly and then disappears again. The program itself appears to be OK, so I conclude that the datafile is corrupted. What I need to know now is how to recover from this problem, plus some idea of why it happened and what can be done to prevent a recurrence!!

BankTree Support
Site Admin

Post by BankTree Support » Fri May 04, 2007 11:17 pm

Problem 1) will investigate and fix if is an issue.

Problem 2) For both the transaction screen and summary accounts were you looking at the same cleared funds transactions? (one cleared and one not cleared?)

problem 3) please make sure you are running build 2.0.5 dated 1/5/2007, you may need to run the data utility to clear a problem with the ANNUAL schedual frequency. (just run it once and it clears up the data)

all download from the download area

catsnbytes

Post by catsnbytes » Sat May 05, 2007 4:34 pm

Problem 1 - Thanks.

Problem 2 - There were no checked transactions involved, and anyway the net total shown on the transactions page was correct - the one on the summary accounts page bore no relation to any of the figures involved in that or any other account.

Problem 3 - I have downloaded the one from your site dated 1/5/2007 and use it to "repair" the existing copy (which says it is version 2.0.0.5 dated 24/04/2007). The program will still not start at all, so running the data utility is not an option! I have tried deleting the program and just running it as a "trial" program, but it will still not start. This would suggest that it has done something fairly nasty to the registry, so a full list of the entries normally made in the registry by the program when it is installed would be very helpful. I have tried moving the program and the data file to another machine, but just get a "not a valid password" box.

This raises another potential problem, as to what happens when I have to reformat the HD, which is not an uncommon occurence with Windows, I can back up the data OK, but not the program - am I expected to buy a new licence each time that happens? - and even that will not help if it won't read my old data file!!

BankTree Support
Site Admin

Post by BankTree Support » Sun May 06, 2007 3:21 am

Problem 1) is now fixed in the lasted build (6th May 2007)

Problem 2) without lookin at your data not sure what this referes to It could be scheduled items that have been added to the Account and are not due. When you are in the Account Transaction screen look at the number of uncleared items.

Problem 3) You have not actually installed the new version, just repaired the previous version of the windows installer file. You need to remove the file (Control Panel -> add remove files). No problem with registry, data files do not get removed on uninstall. Corrupted data file is stopping the application from working. You cannot move data files from one pc to another need to run the system transfer function, can cause data corruption.

I have added sufficient information if somone is looking at the forums. Have continued discussion off-line.

:)

BankTree Support
Site Admin

Backup up your data

Post by BankTree Support » Thu May 17, 2007 5:49 pm

As with any software it is your responsibility to backup your data on a regular basis. We do provide a system transfer facility that will allow you to transfer your data to a new pc. In this instance you can download the free installation at, any time before you have restored your data files.

All issues associated with this message have been fixed in version 2.0.5